[R-SIG-Mac] strange behaviour when quitting

Carl Witthoft carl at witthoft.com
Mon Jul 21 23:08:53 CEST 2008

I have delved into the darkness :-),
and something odd is happening.  I saw this w/ a couple versions of R
2.7.x :

First, I created an environment variable inside my .Rprofile (quoted
below).  The variable itself works just fine.  Here's the strange thing:
when I invoke q() or hit <CMD>-q to quit R.app ,  R throws up a new
Untitled window that looks like it might be a new quartz window, then
goes ahead and quits.

myRprofile: (ignoring lines which work and do NOT affect the quit()
behavior.  I tested extensively and only this binding makes a difference)

makeActiveBinding("newq", function(...) { quartz() ; par(cex=0.75)},
.GlobalEnv)->nullity
rm(nullity)

A couple notes: I redirect to the variable 'nullity' so that R.app won't
throw anything onto the console window.   I put the ellipsis in because
otherwise I get a Warning about unused or missing arguments to function().

I also tried putting the line

rm(newq)

into .Last, but that didn't help either.

thanks for advice.
Carl