[R-SIG-Mac] OS X 10.5.3

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Jul 18 00:08:44 CEST 2008

On Jul 17, 2008, at 3:48 PM, Kasper Daniel Hansen wrote:

> Jan send out the email below quite a while ago. Now 10.5.4 has been
> released as well as Xcode 3.1 and I don't see any sign of gfortran
> (at least when I read the release notes, I have not installed Xcode
> 3.1 yet). I am not following the apple developer email lists, but
> could someone please give a two line summary on whether gfortran
> support has been dropped entirely or whether it has been postponed a
> lot or just for a short while?

AFAIK there is no official gfortran support. I have patches to Apple's
gcc that allow to build gfortran from Apple's sources (see http://r.research.att.com/tools/
  ). Essentially it requires gcc 4.2 which is now part of Xcode 3.1
(gcc 4.0 was hopeless in that respect). I'll release another binary
once the Xcode 3.1 sources are available.