[R-SIG-Mac] Weird problems in Leopard

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Wed Jul 16 22:55:01 CEST 2008

I've just bought a new iMac with 10.5.4 of OS X.  I installed R 2.7.1 on
it with no problems.

I tried to install Xcode 3.0, but three downloads (two Firefox, one
Safari) were corrupt, so I installed 3.1.

Now, the weirdness:

When I try to install rgl from the CRAN source,  or from a local
directory using R CMD INSTALL, the configure script fails with these
messages:

checking for X... libraries /usr/X11/lib, headers /usr/X11/include
checking for glEnd in -lGL... no
configure: error: missing required library GL
ERROR: configuration failed for package 'rgl'
** Removing '/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/rgl'
** Restoring previous
'/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/rgl'

However, if I run the configure script (as ./configure) within the local
directory, it succeeds:

checking for X... libraries /usr/X11/lib, headers /usr/X11/include
checking for glEnd in -lGL... yes

I can then move the configure script out of the way and R CMD INSTALL
proceeds (until it gets to the FTVectoriser error, which I'm working on
fixing).

Why would R CMD INSTALL make the configure script fail???

Duncan Murdoch