[R-SIG-Mac] Just a thought on FAT packages

Bill Northcott w.northcott at unsw.edu.au
Tue Feb 26 23:51:02 CET 2008

On 27/02/2008, at 1:40 AM, Simon Urbanek wrote:
> I'm not sure what you're talking about - R has separate files for
> each architecture. That approach ensures that we can choose the
> architecture at will. We don't use any 4-way executables (except for
> an extra copy of Rscript - there is a convenience fat binary, but
> each individual arch binary is kept aside, so you can still choose
> each arch). In fact, the default in the CRAN R is 32-bit for both
> ppc and Intel unless you choose 64-bit using --arch.

I guess I was forgetting that R itself used a multilib rather than a
fat file structure.

I guess my suggestion might be better phrased.  In the 64 bit versions
once they ship, it would probably be nice is on 64 bit capable Intel
Macs if the operative arch defaulted to x86_64, which on G5 it
defaulted to ppc.

Cheers
Bill