[R-SIG-Mac] Tcl/Tk Package issue on Leopard

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue Feb 26 16:03:14 CET 2008

Bill,

when you check, you'll find that the Tcl/Tk package pre-dates Leopard
quite substantially. The 64-bit part is supplied only as an
experimental "goodie" for those wishing to use local Xorg client on
either Tiger or Leopard. You're more than welcome to compile your
version of Tcl/Tk that uses Leopard's own X11
(further comments inline)

On Feb 25, 2008, at 10:30 PM, Bill Northcott wrote:

> It seems the Tcl/Tk package included in the current 2.6.2 universal
> package has an issue on 64 bit capable hardware.
>
> The included 64 bit architectures in the Tk binaries are linked
> against the Xorg version of X11 installed in /use/local.  While this
> is necessary for Tiger, it seems unnecessary for Leopard which has 4
> way fat X11 libraries.
>
> To make matters worse,

Ok, next time I'll just refrain from trying to be helpful and remove
64-bit experimental binaries to not make things "worse".

> this does not seem to be mentioned on the R for
> MacOS X developers web page or in the read me for the main R installer
> metapackage.  The only place I can find the need for the Xorg
> installation mentioned is in the readme for the tcl/tk package which
> most people won't get to read.
>
> Any attempt to run fat executables which use /usr/local/lib/
> tk8.4.dylib on a 64 bit capable Mac fail with a baffling error if Xorg
> X11 is not installed.
>
> [pmg5bn:~] billn% /usr/local/bin/wish8.4
> dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/X11R7/lib/libX11.6.dylib
>   Referenced from: /usr/local/lib/libtk8.4.dylib
>   Reason: image not found
> Trace/BPT trap
>
> this baffled me because
> [pmg5bn:~] billn% otool -L /usr/local/lib/libtk8.4.dylib
> /usr/local/lib/libtk8.4.dylib:
> 	/usr/local/lib/libtk8.4.dylib (compatibility version 8.4.0, current
> version 8.4.14)
> 	/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
> version 88.3.3)
> 	/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.6.dylib (compatibility version 6.2.0, current
> version 6.2.0)
> 	/usr/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
> version 1.0.0)
>
>  does not appear to be linked against anything in /usr/local/X11R7

Try "man otool" ... (hint: look for the -arch flag).

> Would it be possible to do different builds for Tiger and Leopard?
> For Tiger, the need for Xorg X11 needs to be documented, while for
> Leopard, it would be better not used.

Possible, yes. But apparently it seems safer to just remove 64-bit
from all R binaries to avoid problems.