[R-SIG-Mac] saving graphic in quartz window with Aquamacs/ESS

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Feb 24 16:45:59 CET 2008

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008, Simon Urbanek wrote:

> Graham,
>
> On Feb 24, 2008, at 5:02 AM, Graham Smith wrote:
>
>> After a few false starts, I have aquamacs and emacs working together. I
>> have X11 running and CarbonEL running. In retrospect I now wonder
>> whether I need X11 running. I have been using R on Windows before
>> (without Emacs or ESS, so this is all very new)
>>
>> To create a plot I seem to need to first open a quartz window
>> "quartz()" and then run the plot command.
>>
>> Which is fine, except I can't work out how to save the graphic, I am
>> used to right clicking on the graphic for a context menu (but that
>> doesn't work- no context menu popup) or using the R-console menu, which
>> doesn't exist with the Aquamacs/ESS set up.
>>

> With Aquamacs you're pretty much on your own - Quartz is meant to be
> run from the R GUI where it has all the menus for saving, copy/paste
> etc as well as quartz.save(). ESS does not support the 'real' Quartz
> that is used in the R GUI.
>
> We may change that in the future such that Quartz windows can have its
> own menus, but currently [R <=2.6.x] it's not supported, because all
> the UI functionality is provided by the R GUI, not by R itself.

Windows has a savePlot() function to save the current screen device
contents to a file format.  R 2.7.0 will have a similar function for its
new X11() device (but only to a bitmap format, and currently only to PNG),
and it ought to be possible to extend that to the new quartz() device.

The X11() device does not have menus either -- that would need far more
X11 support that we assume (just Xlib, no toolkits, even Xt is optional).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk