[R-SIG-Mac] hang on use of ESC in R 2.6.2

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue Feb 12 15:29:05 CET 2008

[I have replied privately, but here is the relevant part of the
response for the list:]

If R is stuck in a long computation in C code that doesn't call
R_ProcessEvents, we're helpless. There is no way to stop that code
until it finishes. Even if you press <Esc> it may not help (just give
you the beachball), because the event of you pressing <Esc> must first
be processed so it can fire, but if R is already somewhere in a C
code, so it will never get processed, hence the beachball (on OS X the
beachball means that the application doesn't process events for some
time).

Now, you can debug this if you desire so to find out what R is doing.
To do so, start a Terminal (in parallel to your unresponsive R) and
type:
gdb
attach R

That should get you into the R process that is spinning. Now you can
issue
bt
to see where it really is. Very likely it will be somewhere is the
package performing the computation. But if it's not, then we want to
know.

Anyway, I suspect that this is not really something we can do much
about (in the current GUI). The new GUI 2.0 is running R in a separate
thread, so it is always responsive despite R being busy, hence we can
deal better with unresponsive R there.