[R-SIG-Mac] Applescript plans

Thomas Juntunen tmj at visi.com
Tue Feb 12 04:33:16 CET 2008

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 09:07:05 -0500, Simon Urbanek wrote:

> On Feb 10, 2008, at 2:26 PM, Erich Neuwirth wrote:
>
>> Are there any plans to extend the Applescript facilities in R?
>
> Yes, we plan a new AS interface for the GUI 2.0. Right now we are in
> the process of collecting ideas as of what could be useful, so it's
> the perfect time to ask :).

You might get some useful ideas and/or code from the py-appscript open-source
project:
http://appscript.sourceforge.net

In the words of its author: "Py-appscript is a high-level, user-friendly Apple
event bridge that allows you to control scriptable Mac OS X applications using
ordinary Python scripts. Appscript makes Python a serious alternative to
Apple's own AppleScript language for automating your Mac."

The author has also created an Apple event bridge for Ruby and seems to have
very good grasp of how Applescript works under the hood.

Thomas Juntunen