[R-SIG-Mac] Help with running R from within Aquamacs

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Mon Feb 11 17:20:37 CET 2008

On Feb 11, 2008, at 10:02 AM, Quan Li wrote:

> Thanks to Kasper and Simon. I was indeed wrong about where the
> packages were stored. In R, .libPaths() returned the following:
>
> [1] "/Users/useradmin/Library/R/2.6/library"
> [2] "/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.6/Resources/library"
>
> the packages that came with R were stored in [2] and the packages I
> downloaded were stored in [1]
>
> however, in Aquamacs, .libPaths() returned
>
> [1] "/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library"
>
> I temporarily solved the problem by moving all the packages to  "/
> Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library"
>
> without tinkering with the .Rprofile file, is there a way to make
> Aquamacs to point to both paths instead of just one?

I'm not sure - it depends on whether Aquamacs allows you to set
environment variables automatically (I'm not a Aquamacs user) - if it
does, set R_LIBS accordingly.

I know you said you don't want to touch .Rprofile, but just in case
you change your mind, it would make it much simpler. This is what I
use to synchronize command line R with the GUI (in .Rprofile):

if (length(.libPaths())==1) .libPaths(paste(Sys.getenv("HOME"),"/
Library/R/",paste(R.version$major,as.integer(R.version
$minor),sep='.'),"/library",sep=''))

The benefit of this is that this works with any command-line R,
regardless how you start it (ssh, X11, Terminal, Emacs, ...).

> Also, when I run R from within Aquamacs, the Quartz device does not
> work. I tested with
> a<-c(1:10)
> b<-c(1:10)
> plot(a,b)
>
> in R, I got a scatter plot, but from within Aquamacs, it says
> evaluation is finished but I don't see the Quartz window. Please
> advice.

You are probably using PostScript device by default. Set "quartz" to
be your default device. Also I think you still have to load CarbonEL
first (unless you're using R-devel).