[R-SIG-Mac] Applescript plans

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Mon Feb 11 15:07:05 CET 2008

On Feb 10, 2008, at 2:26 PM, Erich Neuwirth wrote:

> Are there any plans to extend the Applescript facilities in R?

Yes, we plan a new AS interface for the GUI 2.0. Right now we are in
the process of collecting ideas as of what could be useful, so it's
the perfect time to ask :).

> If one  could transfer R matrices  as nested lists to and from
> Applescript, I  could build another version of RExcel on Macs.

What would you need exactly? It is not quite clear to me how to
transport matrices - do you mean in textual or binary form? I'm not
sure how much support we have on the AS side for such kind of a
thing ... Please feel free to outline any ideas you have concerning
the interface ...

>  Currently, Numbers from iWorks seems not to be scriptable (which
> seems strange for an app coming from Apple itself).

Ah ,well, it's the first release, so I'm sure they'll be enhancing it
a lot along the way ...