[R-SIG-Mac] Installing an older version

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Feb 6 17:43:39 CET 2008

On Feb 6, 2008, at 11:27 AM, Erich Neuwirth wrote:

> I just switched to a Mac, so I have to learn details of the
> infrastructure.
> I immediately installed R 2.6.1.
> I also installed SPSS 16.0 on the machine.
> As probably most of you know SPSS now interoperates with R, but
> currently it only seems to work with R 2.5.1.
> When I tried to install R 2.5.1, the installer would not allow me
> because a newer version is already installed?
> How can I install R 2.5.1 and keep my 2.6.1 installation?

You can try the following. Whether it works depends on the exact OS X
version you're using:

1) rename your current R.app (in Applications) to anything else (e.g.
R-26.app)
2) remove R installation receipts:
rm -rf /Library/Receipts/R-*
3) install old R - make sure it says "Install" and not "Upgrade"

Now you can use Rswitch from http://r.research.att.com/ to switch
between the installed R versions (this may be relevant to SPSS etc.).

If you use GUI, you don't need to switch the version, the GUI loads
the version it was built for, so you can use both icons - the R-26 and
R.