[R-SIG-Mac] Solution to collation problems on Mac OS X

[Ricardo Rodriguez] Your XEN ICT Team webmaster at xen.net
Sun Dec 28 12:26:49 CET 2008

Thanks, Brian and Simon.

Sorry if this question is a too basic: I'm trying to understand how does
the development cycle or R work. I am running here R 2.8.0 GUI 1.26
(5256) on Mac OS X 10.5.6. The update to 2.8.1 released on 2008/12/22 is
a pending task.

When this option/feature will be included in a dmg available at
http://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/?

Thanks you so much for your work,

Ricardo

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> Some of you will be aware that R ignores locale when collating strings
> on Mac OS X: this arises from its inadequate FreeBSD-based wcscoll,
> whose man page says
>
> BUGS
>      The current implementation of wcscoll() only works in single-byte
>      LC_CTYPE locales, and falls back to using wcscmp() in locales with
>      extended character sets.
>
> (and conventional Mac OS X locales are not 'single-byte' but UTF-8).
>
> Apple ships a modified version of ICU (IInternational Components for
> Unicode) for collation in its ObjC classes, and with Simon's help I
> have added code to allow R to use this on Tiger and Leopard.  This is
> now the default in R-devel, and available in R-patched by configuring
> R with --with-ICU.
>
> This originally came up for European Spanish, so in the es_ES locale:
>
>> example(Comparison)
> mprsn> ## by number
> Cmprsn> writeLines(strwrap(paste(x, collapse=" "), width = 60))
> ! " # $ % & ' ( ) * + , - . / 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 : ; < = >
> ? @ A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z [ \
> ] ^ _ ` a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
> { | } ~   ¡ ¢ £ ¤ ¥ ¦ § ¨ © ª « ¬ ­ ® ¯ ° ± ² ³ ´ µ ¶ · ¸ ¹
> º » ¼ ½ ¾ ¿ À Á Â Ã Ä Å Æ Ç È É Ê Ë Ì Í Î Ï Ð Ñ Ò Ó Ô Õ Ö ×
> Ø Ù Ú Û Ü Ý Þ ß à á â ã ä å æ ç è é ê ë ì í î ï ð ñ ò ó ô õ
> ö ÷ ø ù ú û ü ý þ ÿ
>
> Cmprsn> ## by locale collation
> Cmprsn> writeLines(strwrap(paste(sort(x), collapse=" "), width = 60))
> ½ ¼ 2 ² 3 ³ ¾ 4 5 6 7 8 9 a A ª á Á à À â Â å Å ä Ä ã Ã æ Æ
> b B c C ç Ç d D ð Ð e E é É è È ê Ê ë Ë f F g G h H i I í Í
> ì Ì î Î ï Ï j J k K l L m M n N ñ Ñ o O º ó Ó ò Ò ô Ô ö Ö õ
> Õ ø Ø p P q Q r R s S ß t T u U ú Ú ù Ù û Û ü Ü v V w W x X
> y Y ý Ý ÿ z Z þ Þ µ

Ricardo Rodríguez
Your XEN ICT Team