[R-SIG-Mac] lme4 fails to load in R GUI 2.8.0

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Dec 13 17:09:21 CET 2008

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008, Christopher David Desjardins wrote:

> It was suggested to update my lme4 package to the lastest version at CRAN.
> After installing it I get the following error:
>
>> library(lme4)
> Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
> function 'cholmod_start' not provided by package 'Matrix'
> Error: package/namespace load failed for 'lme4'
>
> Searching on the internet it seems someone had the same error

with an unreleased R-forge version, I believe, but it is basic good
practice to give a URL for such comments.

> and downgrade their Matrix from *-17 to *-16 except that I can't find a
> binary for 2.8 for Matrix anywhere.

This is a known problem (as of a couple of days ago when -17 was
released).  The binary of lme4 needs to be rebuilt -- I have already
suggested that a new version be released urgently so that this happens
automatically.  AFAIK Simon is in Japan for another week, so most likely
this will not happen unless the Matrix/lme4 authors do help out.

[More verbosely, the new version of Matrix has changed the C-level
entrypoint names and requires that lme4 be re-compiled against the new
version of Matrix.  This was not announced, and apparently unknown to the
Matrix authors.]

The only option I can offer is to install lme4 from the sources.  Because
the CRAN R build has special features (static Fortran, particular BLAS
struture, special location for libgcc_s ...), even if I or someone else
builds lme4 for you it is unlikely to work on your machine.  (Again, I've
asked for this to be documented so others can produce distributable
binary packages.)

To everyone else using binary packages I suggest not updating Matrix until
you see an lme update offered.

(Copying Uwe Ligges because the same thing will happen on Windows: and
bumping the lme4 number will be needed to ensure that update.packages()
gets the new version.)