[R-SIG-Mac] 'buggy' editor

thatsanicehatyouhave at mac.com thatsanicehatyouhave at mac.com
Tue Dec 9 22:56:25 CET 2008

On 4 Dec 2008, at 17:55, Robert Chatfield wrote:

> (1) Anomalous behavior after locating a cursor for edit.
> place the editor cursor at the end of a line, hit "return" and start
> typing.
> The editor continues at the end of the line.  To emulate the normal
> behavior, hit "return" _twice_    This differs from every other
> editor I know of.

I've not seen this behaviour. I noticed that you are not running the
latest version of R though - you might try upgrading (R 2.8.0 GUI 1.26
(5256)).

> (2) Need to set all fonts to standard.
> When copying in code lines from examples, other editors, etc, the
> font of
> the original window is retained.  This may be a desirable feature
> for some,
> but a "Preference" to adopt the existing font and size should be
> easy to
> implement.  I have no use for alternate fonts.

I think the standard Mac way would be to implement "Paste and Match
Style" in the Edit menu rather than introduce a new preference.

> (3) Line numbers not readable:
> On long code scripts, numbers over 999 are not readable (in some cases
> >101 seem a bit hard to read).

It would be nice if the editor made this adjustment (mentioned by Rob
Goedman) automatically.

> (4) "Marks" would be useful
> In light of (3), and especially when adding and removing many lines
> of code, "marks" a, b, c ... (or whatever) would help a lot.

Are you sure you don't want to just use something like Aquamacs or
TextMate as an external editor?

http://aquamacs.org/

> (6) Evaluate and execute:  It would be wonderful to step through code
> easily, line by line.

Do you mean execute lines one at a time? You can hit command-return to
execute only the line the cursor is on.

> Well, 5500 lines of output later, I regretted my willingness to learn.
> Of  course, simple mistakes can also mess up a console log.

This would be very handy - this happens to me every once in a while
and it is annoying. Of course it's my fault, but it's annoying
nonetheless.

Cheers,

Demitri