[R-SIG-Mac] installing multiple versions of R

Mon Dec 1 17:46:49 CET 2008

Hi Stephen,

On Dec 1, 2008, at 11:29 AM, stephen sefick wrote:

> I would like to install R 2.7.2 in || with R 2.8 to test what is wrong
> with a package I am maintaining.  It worked fine with R 2.7.2 chron
> 2.3-24 and doesn't work with R 2.8 chron 2.3-24 or chron 2.3-25.
> thanks

You can easily do so.

Just download the appropriate installers for each version and install
them:

2.8.x : http://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/R-2.8.0.dmg
2.7.x : http://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/old/R-2.7.2.dmg

FYI, they'll install in:
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.*

You can switch between which version to run "at go time" as I
described in my previous email:
  (i) either by using the RSwitch application; or
  (ii) by renaming the R.app that's installed to R28.app, and R27.app
as appropriate.

Both RSwitch and the R guis can be downloaded from:
http://r.research.att.com/

HTH,
-steve

ps - I'm not sure of (ii), since I haven't tested it for R27 vs R28
(only R in 68bit vs R 32bit, which works), though I believe it works.
I have tested and previously used (i).

--
Steve Lianoglou
Graduate Student: Physiology, Biophysics and Systems Biology

http://cbio.mskcc.org/~lianos