[R-SIG-Mac] sound::setWavPlayer()

Hans-Jörg Bibiko bibiko at eva.mpg.de
Thu Aug 28 19:59:52 CEST 2008

On 28.08.2008, at 19:41, Simon Urbanek wrote:

>> The only idea I have for now is to use a scripting language to
>> write a primitive audio player, and the only language which is
>> installed by default on all these platforms is Java. It shouldn't
>> be that problem to write such a JFrame jar.
>>

> I suspect you're talking about something entirely different -
> JFrame won't give you any sound playback ;). But, yes, using Java
> would be one option except that Java is quite a heavy requirement
> for such task ...

Yes of course ;) I menat with JFrame only a tiny GUI with a PLAY and
a STOP button. I wrote such a Java program and it works. The jar file
is about 30k and it is quite fast and I do not load the entire sound
file at once, only buffer by buffer (it only plays linear PCM audio
files aiff, linear wav, au, and some others).

Now I only try to avoid a GUI. It looks different on each OS, thus I
try to write a simple command line tool which appears in the task
bar. To simply stop the sound close that command line tool via the
task bar.

Cheers,

--Hans