[R-SIG-Mac] [R] Upgrading R means I lose my packages

Charilaos Skiadas cskiadas at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 13:17:44 CEST 2008

On Aug 28, 2008, at 6:35 AM, James Milks wrote:

> So, what it boils down to is that I'm installing my packages at too
> high of a level (I'm an administrator for my system) and should
> save them in places other than the R framework folder.

Exactly, and your situation is similar to mine. To answer Rolf's
question about R_LIBS not being seen when you click R.app from the
Finder, the answer is that any application run through the GUI does
not at all read your shell login files, like .bash_profile or
whatever else you are using. It inherits the Finder's environment
instead of the shell's environment. There are two solutions:

1) Set R_LIBS in a file like .bash_profile, which is then read
whenever a terminal window opens, and then every time start R.app
from the terminal window via the command:
"open -a R". Then this R process will be inheriting the shell's
environment.
2) Create a file ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist containing this R_LIBS
definition, as specified in http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2001/
qa1067.html. This file is respected by all GUI apps as well. Requires
a system restart. If you go with this option, I would try to keep
this file as minimal as possible.

> Thanks too all for the tips and links.
>
> Jim Milks

Haris Skiadas