[R-SIG-Mac] sound::setWavPlayer()

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Aug 28 10:17:10 CEST 2008

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008, Hans-Jörg Bibiko wrote:

> On 27.08.2008, at 17:21, Hans-Jörg Bibiko wrote:
>
>> On 27.08.2008, at 17:06, Simon Urbanek wrote:
>>
>>> To be precise to play an audio file all you do is
>>> [[[NSSound initWithContentsOfFile:fileName byReference:YES] autorelease]
>>> play];
>>> Thats' all :)
>>
>> Ah, you mean that the function play(A_SOUND_FILE) should be part of R's
>> core code which implements it for a given platform.
>> This of course would be the best way.

No, because that just throws the problem onto R-core, including long-term
maintenance, for what is a real minority interest.  It should be a
user-maintained package.

> I thought about it a bit. For Mac it would be trivial, but for Windows and
> Linux I do not know. They have to support many sound card drivers. For Linux
> you have different window servers, and distributions.
> The next point once you have such a built-in function like playSoundFile(f)
> how to control it, i.e how to stop it for instance; esp. for the case that
> you're playing more than one sound file at a time (which works a Mac with
> play very well).
>
> To use the approach to open a sound file by the default application is in
> some sense better. On Mac it's easy, just type 'open FILE', for Windows this
> works only in some cases. One could use 'start FILE' but 'start' is not an
> executable it's a DOS command thus one could write a BAT file open.BAT à la
> 'start %1'.

Please do your homework:  Windows R has long provided shell.exec() and as
from R 2.8.0 will have open.exe (for use in shell scripts such as
Rd2dvi.sh).

So all you need to do on Windows R is shell.exec("filename"), even easier
than Simon's suggestion.

> The tricky point is Linux in that respect I believe.

What about all the other platforms R runs on -- FreeBSD, Solaris, AIX,
IRIX, ...?

> I do not know any command which can do this. The Linux shell command
> 'play' is not part of any distribution. This leads to a next problem. If
> there would be a general solution to play a sound file using the default
> app OK but if the user can set up the player to 'mplayer32.exe', or
> 'play' etc. how to distinguish between a shell command, which could run
> in the background (how to control it?), and a app based program like
> 'Windows Media Player' or 'QuickTime' etc.?
>

> The only idea I have for now is to use a scripting language to write a
> primitive audio player, and the only language which is installed by default
> on all these platforms is Java. It shouldn't be that problem to write such a
> JFrame jar.

But having a working Java is a problem.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk