[R-SIG-Mac] Installing current version of lme4 and Matrix on a mac

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Apr 25 06:30:35 CEST 2008

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008, Jarrett Byrnes wrote:

> Hrm.  Well, I just tried that, but got the following output
>
> Warning in install.packages("lme4", repos = "http://R-Forge.R-project.org
> ") :
>   argument 'lib' is missing: using '/Users/jearbear/R/powerpc-apple-
> darwin8.10.1-library/2.7'
> Warning: unable to access index for repository http://R-Forge.R-project.org/bin/macosx/universal/contrib/2.7
> Warning message:
> package ‘lme4’ is not available
>

> This might be a versioning issue (I installed 2.7 the other day -
> maybe I should go back!) but,  what is up with the argument lib being
> missing?  Odd...

Completely normal.   To read the help page for you (fortune(14) applies)

      'install.packages' can be used to install new packages/bundles. It
      takes a vector of names and a destination library, downloads the
      packages from the repositories and installs them.  (If the library
      is omitted it defaults to the first directory in '.libPaths()',
      with a warning if there is more than one.)

I think you need to install from the sources, as it seems R-forge does not
have a suitable binary.

> I also had an odd error when installing Matrix from source
>
> * Installing *source* package 'Matrix' ...
> ** libs
> ** arch - ppc
> gcc -arch ppc -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -mmacosx-
> version-min=10.4 -std=gnu99 -I/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/
> Resources/include -I/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/include/
> ppc  -I/usr/local/include   -I./UFconfig -fPIC  -g -O2 -c CHMfactor.c -
> o CHMfactor.o
> cc1: error: invalid option ‘macosx-version-min=10.4’
> make: *** [CHMfactor.o] Error 1
> ERROR: compilation failed for package 'Matrix'
> ** Removing '/Users/jearbear/R/powerpc-apple-darwin8.10.1-library/2.7/
> Matrix'
>
> The downloaded packages are in
> 	/private/tmp/RtmpLqlbKP/downloaded_packages
> Warning message:
> In install.packages("Matrix", repos = "http://R-Forge.R-project.org",  :
>   installation of package 'Matrix' had non-zero exit status
>
> What's up with the cc1 error?
>
> Suggestions?

Update your Xcode (and I know that from past postings on this list).