[R-SIG-Mac] Installing current version of lme4 and Matrix on a mac

Steven McKinney smckinney at bccrc.ca
Fri Apr 25 02:57:19 CEST 2008

Hi Jarrett,

I was able to install the R-forge lme4 and Matrix
packages by invoking R from a Terminal window
(I used $ sudo R
 so the process would have enough privileges
 to modify directories in the library)

  Dapple:~/Rtest stevenmckinney$ sudo R
  Password:

  R version 2.6.2 (2008-02-08)
  Copyright (C) 2008 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
  ISBN 3-900051-07-0

I installed lme4 alright with the suggested command
from http://r-forge.r-project.org/R/?group_id=60

  > install.packages("lme4",repos="http://R-Forge.R-project.org")
  trying URL 'http://R-Forge.R-project.org/bin/macosx/universal/contrib/2.6/lme4_0.999375-13.tgz'
  Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 353734 bytes (345 Kb)
  opened URL
  downloaded 345 Kb

  The downloaded packages are in
          /tmp/Rtmpakk1fU/downloaded_packages

So lme4 installed alright.

Matrix choked for some reason.

  > install.packages("Matrix",repos="http://R-Forge.R-project.org")
  trying URL 'http://R-Forge.R-project.org/bin/macosx/universal/contrib/2.6/Matrix_0.999375-10.tgz'
  Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 1783421 bytes (1.7 Mb)
  opened URL
  downloaded 1.7 Mb

  Error: cannot remove prior installation of package 'Matrix'

This is what I was trying to avoid by running the process via 'sudo',
not sure what went wrong.

Installing from source worked:

  > install.packages("Matrix",repos="http://R-Forge.R-project.org", type = "source")
  trying URL 'http://R-Forge.R-project.org/src/contrib/Matrix_0.999375-10.tar.gz'
  Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 1502286 bytes (1.4 Mb)
  opened URL
  downloaded 1.4 Mb

  * Installing *source* package 'Matrix' ...
  ** libs
  ** arch - ppc
  gcc -arch ppc -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -mmacosx-version-min=10.4 -std=gnu99 -no-cpp-precomp -I/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/include
  -I/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/include/ppc  -I/usr/local/include   -I./UFconfig -fPIC  -g -O2 -c CHMfactor.c -o CHMfactor.o
  powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.2.1: unrecognized option '-no-cpp-precomp'
  .
  .
  .
  xtabs                             text    html    latex   example
  ** building package indices ...

  Attaching package: 'Matrix'

          The following object(s) are masked from package:stats :

           xtabs

  * DONE (Matrix)

  The downloaded packages are in
          /private/tmp/Rtmpakk1fU/downloaded_packages
  Updating HTML index of packages in '.Library'
  > require("lme4")

  Attaching package: 'Matrix'

          The following object(s) are masked from package:stats :

           xtabs

So this is one way to do it.

Hope it works for you.

Best regards

Steven McKinney

Statistician
Molecular Oncology and Breast Cancer Program
British Columbia Cancer Research Centre

email: smckinney +at+ bccrc +dot+ ca

tel: 604-675-8000 x7561

BCCRC