[R-SIG-Mac] sizing of quartz

[Ricardo Rodriguez] Your XEN ICT Team webmaster at xen.net
Sun Apr 6 12:13:17 CEST 2008

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
>> I've looked at installed.packages() and it seems to me that quartz()
>> is "bundled" with the "main software" more than installed with a
>> given package.
>
> It is part of package grDevices in 2.7.0 alpha.

Thanks. It must be also true for 2.6.2.

>> Is it possible to pass height and width in pixels more than in inches
>> working with 2.7.0 alfa?
>
> Yes, since the dpi can be set.  I'm not sure why you would want to do
> that, mind you.

To control appearance of graphics produced for the web.

We are trying to introduce R in our workflow. It is easy to figure out
why. Currently, Excel, SPSS and several software flavors producing
graphics and tables are involved. A kind of mess that nevertheless
works. But I am sure R can substitute each and all  of these tools and
to add a great deal of advantages. We keep discussions about papers we
prepare in a wiki system. To produce neat graphics from R to be display
in wiki pages is a must for me now.

> As I read in http://developer.R-project.org/, R-alpha*.tar.gz packages
> are made automatically available, but I guess there is not *.dmg for
> these stages.
>
> There are, thanks to Simon Urbanek at http://r.research.att.com/.
> (The main CRAN Mac OS X page says so.)  (You want the R-2-7-branch
> version: the 'tiger' dmg should run on Leopard according to the notes.)
>
> (I've never tested these, as building from the sources is easy enough.)

To build my own binaries of several FOSS projects I working with is high
in my ToDo list! But I will take profit of Simon's work to re-start with
R now. Thanks to Simon.

Thanks for your help,

Ricardo

--