[R-SIG-Mac] R and multicore architectures?

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Thu Oct 11 13:53:25 CEST 2007

Nüzhet Dalfes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are gradually moving most of climate data and model output analyses
> to R. We have a 2 x Core 2 Duo Mac with 9GB memory and 3TB disk space,
> i.e. ideal for such work...
>
> Question: Does the standard (binary distribution) of R use all of the
> cores and access all of the available memory?
>
> Or does one have to recompile R to take advantages of more powerful
> hardware available around?

R will use the available memory, but keep in mind that MacOS is still a
32-bit operating system, so 9 Gb of RAM won't be used, I don't think.  R
will use only one processor unless you write code specifically using
mechanisms like Rmpi OR if you simply run multiple R processes
simultaneously.  Recompiling will not change that.

Sean