[R-SIG-Mac] Bioconductor Security Certificate

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Wed Nov 28 16:03:50 CET 2007

Loren Engrav wrote:
> Am using MacOS 10.4.11 and Safari 3.0.4
> but same happens with Firefox 2.0.0.9
>
> When I go to
> <http://www.bioconductor.org/docs/mailList.html>
>
> And click on ³web interface² at the line "Subscribe to or browse this list
> through the web interface."
>
> I get the message
>
> You have attempted to establish a connection with "'www.stat.math.ethz.ch".
> However, the security
> certificate presented belongs to "stat.ethz.ch". It is possible, though
> unlikely, that someone may be trying to intercept your communication with
> this web site.
>
> If you suspect the certificate shown does not belong to
> "www.stat.math.ethz.ch" please cancel the connection and notify the site
> administrator.
>
> How do I fix this?

You don't. This just means that the security certificate for the website

hasn't been registered with e.g., VeriSign, so there is no outside
authority vouching for the security of the site.

If you were going to a commercial site and planning on giving them your
credit card information this might be something to worry about. However,
I think the likelihood of someone wanting to spoof the Bioconductor
listserv archives is relatively low, so I think you are safe ignoring it.

Best,

Jim