[R-SIG-Mac] Bioconductor Security Certificate

Loren Engrav engrav at u.washington.edu
Wed Nov 28 06:00:10 CET 2007

Strange

Same thing happens on my kids Windows computer

I guess I do not understand as I do several secure websites per day and do
not see this message

I thought a certificate on my computer checks the certificate on the sending
computer, if they match, page passes, if they do not match, message comes up
indicating potential trouble, so to go to a secure page I must install the
proper certificate, but I have no certificate for Bio nor can I find one

So I asked <bioconductor-owner at stat.math.ethz.ch> what to do...

Thank you

Loren Engrav
Univ Wash
Seattle

> From: Sean Davis <sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov>
> Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 19:21:52 -0500
> To: Loren Engrav <engrav at u.washington.edu>
> Cc: RMacHelp <r-sig-mac at stat.math.ethz.ch>
> Subject: Re: [R-SIG-Mac] Bioconductor Security Certificate
>
> On Nov 27, 2007 6:04 PM, Loren Engrav <engrav at u.washington.edu> wrote:
> Am
> using MacOS 10.4.11 and Safari 3.0.4
> but same happens with Firefox
> 2.0.0.9
>
> When I go to
>
> <http://www.bioconductor.org/docs/mailList.html>
>
> And click on ³web
> interface² at the line "Subscribe to or browse this list
> through the web
> interface."
>
> I get the message
>
> You have attempted to establish a
> connection with "'www.stat.math.ethz.ch".
> However, the security
>
> certificate presented belongs to "stat.ethz.ch". It is possible, though
>
> unlikely, that someone may be trying to intercept your communication with>
> this web site.
>
> If you suspect the certificate shown does not belong to
>
> "www.stat.math.ethz.ch" please cancel the connection and notify the site
>
> administrator.
>
> How do I fix this?

This is normal with a connection to a
> secure website.  Bioconductor
does not maintain the website at
> stat.ethz.ch.

> Thank you
>
> I tried to find a Bioconductor web
> administrator and failed

This is not a problem and is not a bioconductor
> problem.  All web
browsers on all systems should behave something like
> this.

Sean