[R-SIG-Mac] A shorthand for '<-'

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Nov 21 14:53:07 CET 2007

James,

On Nov 21, 2007, at 8:22 AM, James Milks wrote:

> The '=' sign can be used in place of '<-'.  That's the only
> shorthand I know for R.

That's not a shorthand. `=` and `<-` are semantically different in R.

Alexy was asking presumably about shorthands that you press/type in
the R Mac GUI which will result in `<-` being produced and those are
<Alt><-> (this comes from Emacs' "_" shortcut which you type on US
keyboard as <Shift><-> but given that the character _ is often used
these days, we created a variant where you use <Alt> instead of
<Shift>) and <Ctrl><=> (this one is simply a play on the equal sign
and should make sense on other keyboards, too). The last shorthand I
mentioned (<Alt>+<=>) is a direct translation of the ­ sign (which
you get in other programs when pressing <Alt><=>) into R code.