[R-SIG-Mac] Quartz graphics corruption

Daschbach, John L John.Daschbach at pnl.gov
Fri Nov 16 19:28:33 CET 2007

A problem with saving graphics persists through many iterations of the R
gui.  I brought this up some time ago but it remains a troubling issue.
Often, when saving quartz graphics as PDF the graphic is printed with other
screen contents.  Often these are part of the contents of the R console, but
upside down.  With the problem earlier it seemed that saving from a print
dialog instead of quartz.save(), but currently it is common both places.

Also quite troubling is the printed figure is sometimes missing elements.
In the attached figure both problems are evident.  In the one screen quartz
window from which this was saved as pdf from a print dialog there is a point
at 400 K in the Peak Frequency data, but it is missing in plot.  Also note
the print through from the console.

For this I moved the console off screen so it physically did not overlap the
graphics window.

If there is a work around I would like to know about it.  I've got a
manuscript to submit and as I have revised some graphics they are corrupt.

I am running R 2.6 with GUI 1.22-devel (4844).

-John