[R-SIG-Mac] X11 and rgl in Leopard

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Nov 9 16:49:51 CET 2007

On Nov 9, 2007, at 10:22 AM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> On 11/8/2007 3:25 PM, Jan de Leeuw wrote:
>> On X11: it is a good idea to install the test version of Xquartz
>> available from:
>>
>>    http://people.freedesktop.org/~bbyer/x11app/
>>
>> with instructions at
>>
>>    http://www.x.org/wiki/XDarwin
>>
>> 1.2a7 has many bug fixes, and it is written by Ben Byer of Apple's
>> X11 group. But it will be while before it gets into official
>> OS X releases.
>>
>> On rgl: when compiling, use LDFLAGS
>>
>> -Wl,-dylib_file,/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/
>> Versions/A/
>> Libraries/libGL.dylib:/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/
>> Versions/A/Libraries/libGL.dylib
>>
>> Otherwise, rgl won't find its symbols.
>
> rgl uses autoconf to build its configure script, and as far as I can
> tell the current version of autoconf (one version newer than what we
> used) knows nothing about leopard.  So we need to change the
> configure.ac input in order to make the above happen automatically.
>
> Do you (or anyone else on the list) know what the change would be?  If
> you do, a patch would be appreciated:  I don't know much at all about
> autoconf (I'm a Windows guy), and don't have a leopard system to
> play with.

I'm not sure whether we want to do that. The current libGL in Leopard
is simply broken (and that's just one of many things that are broken -
the X11 supplied with Leopard is at best alpha-quality). The LDFLAGS
above are just one way to work around it. IMHO a much better way is to
simply fix the underlying problem:
sudo bash
cd /usr/X11/lib
mv libGL.dylib libGL.dylib.broken
ln -s /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Libraries/
libGL.dylib .

... and while you're at it, fix libpng as well. Edit /usr/X11/bin/
libpng-config and comment out the R_opts line.

Along with removing /System/Library/LaunchAgents/org.x.X11.plist it
should return some sanity to the X11 madness that coems with Leopard...