[R-SIG-Mac] Preparing mySQL queries for R and SNA

Byron Ellis byron.ellis at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 18:46:56 CET 2007

You can talk to MySQL directly from R (using the RMySQL and DBI
packages) so there's no need to create an intermediate file. My SOP is
to query the database wth dbGetQuery and immediately drop the results
into an Rda file (just in case).

On 11/6/07, Brendan Casey <btcasey at maxwell.syr.edu> wrote:
> Hello R list members!  I am brand new to R, but very impressed with
> its potential as a "one stop shop" for stats and sna output with a
> single input file.
>
> Once I get my tech problems with Rcmdr crashing sorted out(!!!).....
> I need to be able to query a mySQL db and export the results for
> input in R.  I am hoping to do both the stats and SNA portions of my
> analysis in R (using the sna package as well).  I endeavor to write a
> script to handle everything.  My process flow is:
> mySQL >> R >> R(sna) >> output tables and graphs >> insert into docs.
>
> Is .csv the best intermediate format for input into R and the sna
> package, or will I have to write my own script to prepare the data in
> special R(sna) matrix form?  I am analyzing online bulletin board
> projects, so each project (~1200) will have a separate set of
> analyses done on it, then they will be aggregated and summarized.
>
> I would be very grateful is someone could point me in the best
> direction such that I can maximize my time and efforts with R.  I
> look forward to being a part of this group as I move on my
> dissertation and beyond...
>
> Regards,
>
> Brendan Casey
> btcasey at maxwell.syr.edu
>
> Maxwell Social Science Ph.D. Program
> http://www.maxwell.syr.edu/socsci/roster/student/casey.html
> The Center for Technology and Information Policy
> http://ctip.maxwell.syr.edu/

Byron Ellis (byron.ellis at gmail.com)
"Oook" -- The Librarian