[R-SIG-Mac] input data in portuguese (accent problems)

Tiago R Magalhães tiago17 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 14:56:19 CET 2007

Dear members of the R list,

I am a biologist, with some R knowledge, but with a basic question! I
want to read a csv file which is in portuguese, hence with accents in
the column names and the columns themselves.

I have searched in the browse archives and couldn't find a solution.
The closest I could come up with was

Sys.setlocale("LC_ALL", locale="pt_PT.UTF-8")

I have also tried the options pt_PT.ISO8859-1, pt_PT.ISO8859-1,
pt_PT.ISO8859-15, pt_PT.UTF-8, and en_GB.UTF-8. I got those options by
typing locale -a on the terminal.

My computer is a MacBook Pro, Mac OS X, Version 10.4.10; R is 2.6.0; the
computer language (in the system preferences, international) is set in
English.

Thanks for any help,
Tiago Magalhães