[R-SIG-Mac] Compiling 2.5.1 on OSX Panther (James Kyle)

Jari Oksanen jari.oksanen at oulu.fi
Mon Nov 5 09:12:50 CET 2007

James Kyle krunk7 at gmail.com  Mon Aug 13 22:11:28 CEST 2007 wrote:
> Thank you for the input, I'm a bit new to this level of compiling,
> but here's my best efforts.
>

> > Unfortunately I'm currently traveling without access to any Panther
> > box, so I can help you only theoretically. The problem is that you're
> > using static g2c and thus linking it more than once (libR and
> > libRlapack) won't work. There are several work arounds:
> > 1) use dynamic g2c (if available)
> >
> I read the gcc documentation and the only package not compiled as a
> shared lib by default is libobjc. So I first compiled gcc-3.3.6
> (without the --enable-shared=libobjc), installed it in /usr/local/
> gcc36, and then ln -sf /usr/local/gcc36/bin/gcc ~/bin/gcc and ln -sf /
> usr/local/gcc36/bin/g77 ~/bin/g77.
> Compiling R against this build produced:
>
> $ ./configure --with-blas='-framework vecLib' --enable-BLAS-shlib &&
> make all
> g77  -fPIC -fno-common  -g -O2 -c blas.f -o blas.o
> g77  -fPIC -fno-common  -g -O2 -c cmplxblas.f -o cmplxblas.ogcc -
> std=gnu99 -dynamiclib -L/sw/lib -L/usr/local/lib -o libRblas.dylib
> blas.o -install_name libRblas.dylib -headerpad_max_install_names  -
> lg2c  cmplxblas.o
> ld: for architecture ppc
> ld: Undefined symbols:
> _xerbla_
> _z_abs
> /usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed
> make[4]: *** [libRblas.dylib] Error 1

I tried to build R-2.6.0 for MacOS 10.3.9 on the weekend, but failed
miserably. It seems that the location of the failure is exactly the same
as in this thread that I found in the August archive of R-SIG-Mac. I
didn't find any continuation to this. Does this mean that the issue is
unresolved? I get a bit different messages depending on config switches
and when configuring and building in Terminal.app or in Xterm. The place
is the same: lapack.

A bit more information: I tried building first in another MacOS 10.3.9
box and there it worked smoothly (up to make, I didn't try make install,
since it's not my box). However, in my own iBook the failure is the same
as reported here. In retrospect, the most notably difference between
these two boxes may be that in my iBook I tried to keep up with R
versions and installed unofficial binary builds for 10.3.9 from
http://r.research.att.com/ as long as they were made available (up to
2.3.0), but the official CRAN release was the latest installed in that
another box. This may mean that some of the tools were changed under
way, but I don't know yet how.

cheers, jari oksanen
--
Jari Oksanen <jari.oksanen at oulu.fi>