[R-SIG-Mac] Feedback to Apple?

Joerg van den Hoff j.van_den_hoff at fzd.de
Wed Mar 21 18:21:45 CET 2007

On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 09:23:03AM -0700, Jan de Leeuw wrote:
> Although better X11 support may be a step ahead for now, it is
> a step in the wrong direction. Years ago we already had support
> for Aqua Tcl/Tk in command-line R using the infamous event loop
> hack. So what must be done is make sure both R.app and command-line
> R support Aqua Tcl/Tk -- which is not something Apple can do.
> R core has to tweak the event loop mechanism, and then we can all
> get rid of the last vestiges of X11.
>
> On Mar 21, 2007, at 7:55 AM, Dan Putler wrote:

I would strongly object. concerning R itself, it's great that simon and the
others maintain a package which I can easily install on the mac (thanks!).

but I myself (and probably many others) are no friends of GUIs, mainly
because I'm happy if I can use `readline' and edit the command line
and use incremental reverse search  etc. the same way in all programmms.
faster for me.

so I exclusively use R from the command line. and actually
I do that in full screen X11 mode with my favorite x11 manager and everything
goes much faster than it would in the combination R GUI plus aqua. for me.

so why argue against it? sure, many novice users, maybe also 'professional'
users, will prefer the R GUI and that's fine with me, but it's sure not a superior
approach in any way that would make sense to me.

joerg