[R-SIG-Mac] Very long wait opening certain *.R files, Mac R 2.5.0

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Sat Jun 30 11:15:44 CEST 2007

On Jun 28, 2007, at 5:10 PM, Douglas Bates wrote:

> On 6/28/07, Matthew Keller <mckellercran at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm a recent convert, still trying to get used to this new OS. I
>> use R
>> everyday for my work.
>>
>> I have a new Intel MacBook Pro, and installed R 2.5.0. Using the GUI,
>> when I try to open a large *.R script (from File -> Open or by double
>> clicking the file), it takes about 1-2 minutes to open. The script is
>> about 3000 lines long and there are very long and nested loops in it.
>> Files that are shorter open increasingly quickly, so this behavior
>> seems to be a function of script length. Still, it takes a text
>> editor
>> less than a second to open the 3000 lines long file.
>>
>> Does anyone have any ideas on what might be causing this? Does the
>> Mac
>> version of R run some kind of code automatically when script files
>> are
>> opened? Thanks in advance...
>
> Perhaps Simon inserted code in the GUI to cause the delay, as a subtle
> hint that 3000 line R scripts with very long and nested loops are to
> be discouraged.  :-)

True - maybe I should have added the message as well so the hint not
as subtle ;).

Anyway, it's the syntax highlighting which runs synchronously on open
and can be slow for long documents. I'm experimenting with
asynchronous sh for the new GUI which should remedy this issue. As
Rob noted, temporary remedy is to disable syntax highlighting for
such documents.