[R-SIG-Mac] latex: command not found

cstrato cstrato at aon.at
Wed Jul 18 22:59:33 CEST 2007

Dear all

When running "R CMD check" on my Intel-Mac, I get always the line:
* checking for working latex ...sh: line 1: latex: command not found

So I downloaded the i-Installer II and installed gwTeX as administrator.

As user I put the directory  /usr/texbin  in ".bashrc":
export PATH=usr/texbin:$PATH

When I do "echo $PATH" I get:
/Volumes/CoreData/ROOT/root/bin:usr/texbin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin

So the correct path to "tex", "latex" and "texi2dvi" is now included.

However, I still get the following output of R CMD check:
* checking for working latex ...sh: line 1: latex: command not found
 NO
* using log directory '/Volumes/CoreData/CRAN/mypkg.Rcheck'
* using R version 2.6.0 Under development (unstable) (2007-06-22 r42030)
* checking for file 'mypkg/DESCRIPTION' ... OK
* checking extension type ... Package
* this is package 'mypkg' version '0.1.1'
* checking package name space information ... OK
* checking package dependencies ... OK
* checking if this is a source package ... OK
* checking whether package 'mypkg' can be installed ... OK
* checking package directory ... OK
* checking for portable file names ... OK
* checking for sufficient/correct file permissions ... OK
* checking DESCRIPTION meta-information ... OK
* checking top-level files ... OK
* checking index information ... OK
* checking package subdirectories ... OK
* checking R files for non-ASCII characters ... OK
* checking R files for syntax errors ... OK
* checking whether the package can be loaded ... OK
* checking whether the package can be loaded with stated dependencies ... OK
* checking whether the name space can be loaded with stated dependencies
... OK
* checking for unstated dependencies in R code ... OK
* checking S3 generic/method consistency ... OK
* checking replacement functions ... OK
* checking foreign function calls ... OK
* checking R code for possible problems ... NOTE
getProbesetIDs4RefSeqs: no visible binding for global variable 'refid'
* checking Rd files ... OK
* checking Rd cross-references ... OK
* checking for missing documentation entries ... OK
* checking for code/documentation mismatches ... OK
* checking Rd \usage sections ... OK
* checking data for non-ASCII characters ... OK
* creating mypkg-Ex.R ... OK
* checking examples ... OK
* checking package vignettes in 'inst/doc' ... WARNING
Package vignettes without corresponding PDF:
  /Volumes/CoreData/CRAN/mypkg.Rcheck/00_pkg_src/mypkg/inst/doc/mypkg.Snw
--- running texi2dvi on vignettes
You don't have a working TeX binary (tex) installed anywhere in
your PATH, and texi2dvi cannot proceed without one.  If you want to use
this script, you'll need to install TeX (if you don't have it) or change
your PATH or TEX environment variable (if you do).  See the --help
output for more details.
For information about obtaining TeX, please see http://www.tug.org.  If
you happen to be using Debian, you can get it with this command:
  apt-get install tetex-bin
Error in texi2dvi(file = bft, pdf = TRUE, clean = FALSE, quiet = TRUE) :
  running texi2dvi on 'mypkg.tex' failed
Calls: checkVignettes -> texi2dvi
Execution halted
* creating mypkg-manual.tex ... OK

WARNING: There was 1 warning, see
  /Volumes/CoreData/CRAN/mypkg.Rcheck/00check.log
for details

Do I still miss something?

Thank you in advance
Best regards