[R-SIG-Mac] Wiki or Development for Mac-R.app-graphics-insert-to-Word?

Chabot Denis chabotd at globetrotter.net
Tue Jan 30 18:57:50 CET 2007

Hi again,
Le 07-01-29 à 16:28, r-sig-mac-request at stat.math.ethz.ch a écrit :

> Message: 5
> Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 15:47:09 -0500
> From: Simon Urbanek <simon.urbanek at r-project.org>
> Subject: Re: [R-SIG-Mac] Wiki or Development for
> 	Mac-R.app-graphics-insert-to-Word?
> To: Don MacQueen <macq at llnl.gov>
> Cc: R <r-sig-mac at stat.math.ethz.ch>
>
> On Jan 29, 2007, at 2:50 PM, Don MacQueen wrote:
>
>> I'd suggest you try using R's png() driver.
>
> I'd discourage that one a Mac as there is not really a need for that
> - Quartz produces PNG directly and it's WYSIWYG unlike the png()
> driver and Quartz has much better rendering.

Now this is very interesting (see my problems with png() in previous
post), how do you do this? I saw nothing on the quartz help, and the
save as menu command does not give me the option to choose file format.

> To get back on the topic: To be honest I don't really see a problem
> here - Word can handle PDF very easily, just drop a PDF file in a
> Word document - it works just fine (to make sure I'm talking about
> Office 2004 here).
>
> The fact that it does so in Microsoft-ish way, that is by converting
> it to a bitmap, is a technicality and given the overall quality of
> Word output it is neither surprising nor will a regular Word user
> notice this at all.

I have not tried with Word, but PowerPoint produces a low res png
that really looks bad on a large screen. Hence my use of other
software (Preview or Acrobat) to translate into png instead of
letting PowerPoint do it poorly. In fact, putting pdf plots in
Keynote and exporting to PowerPoint format does a nicer job than
importing the pdf directly in PowerPoint.

> R is open source, so if someone implements a device that generates
> DOC or WMF files, uses some API to talk to Word or anything similar,
> they are free to contribute it to R or the R.app GUI.
>
> Cheers,
> Simon
Denis