[R-SIG-Mac] Wiki or Development for Mac-R.app-graphics-insert-to-Word?

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Tue Jan 30 17:43:23 CET 2007

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007, stefano iacus wrote:

> Please stop this dogmatic war against/in_favor_of Word & Co. or I'm
> forced to close this thread.

A dogma-free summary:

1. Word (and the rest of office)  doesn't display PDFs, but can display
PNG or JPEG

2. PNG is better for statistical graphics

3. PNG can be produced by drag-and-drop, with Preview from a PDF, or
directly from the png() driver. Simon (who should know) recommends drag
and drop.  I have tended to use the png() driver at higher-than-screen
resolution.

4. Under Windows, PNG may require Quicktime in order to be displayed.

5. R does not know how to produce .wmf -- under Windows, R does
device-independent graphics calls that are translated to .wmf, .png,
.jpeg, or screen images by the operating system as required. This means it
would not be easy to make .wmf on Mac.

6. Implementing .wmf output off Windows does not appear to be a high
priority for any of the active (core or non-core) developers. If it
happens, someone else will have to do it.

7. Many people have strong views on Word that go beyond questions of the
use of R on Mac OS X platforms.

 	-thomas