[R-SIG-Mac] Wiki or Development for Mac-R.app-graphics-insert-to-Word?

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Mon Jan 29 21:47:09 CET 2007

On Jan 29, 2007, at 2:50 PM, Don MacQueen wrote:

> I'd suggest you try using R's png() driver.

I'd discourage that one a Mac as there is not really a need for that
- Quartz produces PNG directly and it's WYSIWYG unlike the png()
driver and Quartz has much better rendering.

To get back on the topic: To be honest I don't really see a problem
here - Word can handle PDF very easily, just drop a PDF file in a
Word document - it works just fine (to make sure I'm talking about
Office 2004 here).

The fact that it does so in Microsoft-ish way, that is by converting
it to a bitmap, is a technicality and given the overall quality of
Word output it is neither surprising nor will a regular Word user
notice this at all.

R is open source, so if someone implements a device that generates
DOC or WMF files, uses some API to talk to Word or anything similar,
they are free to contribute it to R or the R.app GUI.