[R-SIG-Mac] Beachball on quartz windows (command line only)

Emmanuel Sharef ess28 at cornell.edu
Mon Jan 22 23:58:35 CET 2007

Hello,

When plotting from R in the command line (run in the Terminal, not as
R.app), it behaves oddly.

If I simply type a command to plot something (e.g. hist(rnorm
(1000))  ), nothing happens.
If I type quartz(), an empty quartz window opens, but the mouse
cursor always turns into a spinning beachball when passing over it. I
can plot to this window, but I cannot move or close it, because of
the beach ball. Calling the quartz.save() function referenced in the
R Mac FAQ returns 'Error: could not find function "quartz.save"'.

Everything works fine inside R.app though. Running R in an X11 xterm
works fine too, but quartz graphics are nicer. Is there a way to fix
the problem with getting quartz graphics from the terminal?

Thanks,
Emmanuel