[R-SIG-Mac] Problem loading RSQLite

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Wed Jan 17 21:18:33 CET 2007

Simon Urbanek <simon.urbanek at r-project.org> writes:

> Seth,
>
> I have found the problem - it's a bug in the RSQLite package. The
> RSQLite package package provides its own SQLite version, but it uses
> the wrong compiler to compile it and therefore it compiles the wrong
> architecture (the result will be i386 binary of SQLite despite R
> being configured for ppc). In fact the configure script uses the
> wrong compiler as well. The fix is really easy - it's just the
> sequence of setting CC and failure to export it:

Thanks for the patch.  I will apply it and send an update to CRAN this
week.

> There is one more issue: when the internal SQLite is used, RSQLite
> will put it in inst/sqlite. This is inherently unsafe, because it
> overwrites all previous architectures and thus it won't work for any
> but the first (or last) installed architecture. It would be a good
> idea to use ${R_ARCH} in the path (at least for lib) to avoid this
> problem. It's not a fatal problem, because I don't think anyone
> really uses the installed sqlite, but it limits its usefulness.

I will consider adding an ${R_ARCH} to the install location.  For the
binary packages, I wonder if we should just delete the dir entirely:
RSQLite links to it statically.  This would considerably reduce the
size of the binary package.

+ seth