[R-SIG-Mac] Using a second monitor, running R under Unix

John Maindonald john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
Mon Jan 15 00:04:53 CET 2007

I am using a MacBook Pro with Core 2 Duo, with an external screen
connected that is set to appear above the MacBook Pro's screen.  The
laptop's menu appear bar is set to appear at the top of the external
monitor.

When I run R under ESS, or from the Unix command line, and type quartz
(), the graphics window appears to the "left" of the external
monitor.  Hitting the F9 key brings it into view, but there seems no
way to grab it with the mouse and move it onto less ephemeral real
estate.  [Under R.app, all is well.]

[With x11() half the window is off to the left, and I can drag it to
anywhere I want (either screen).]

A further issue is that when I plot anything on the quartz screen, I
get an "error: message, thus:

 > quartz()
Warning message:
quartz() device interactivity reduced without an event loop manager
in: quartz()
 > plot(1:5, 1:5)
CGGStackRestore: gstack underflow.

The "CGGStackRestore: gstack underflow" message looks ominous, but it
does not cause evident problems.

Is there something I can do so that the positioning of the second
screen is recognized?  At some time in the past, I am sure that quartz
() [ and x11()] used to correctly recognize the positioning of the
screens.  However it is a while since I used quartz(), and I would
not have paid too much attention to the x11() behaviour.
John Maindonald

 > sessionInfo()
R version 2.4.1 (2006-12-18)
i386-apple-darwin8.8.1

locale:

attached base packages:
[1] "splines"   "stats"     "graphics"  "grDevices" "utils"
"datasets"
[7] "methods"   "base"

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
phone : +61 2 (6125)3473    fax  : +61 2(6125)5549
Centre for Mathematics & Its Applications, Room 1194,
John Dedman Mathematical Sciences Building (Building 27)
Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200.