[R-SIG-Mac] [plr for postgressql] make throws "*** Cannot build PL/R because libR is not a shared library" error

Sam Hunting sam_hunting2004 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 8 19:10:17 CET 2007

Configuring R-2.4.1 for postgresql-8.2.0 on Mac OS X:

sh-2.05b#sudo gcc_select 3.3

sh-2.05b# ./configure --enable-R-shlib

Results of configure:

  R is now configured for powerpc-apple-darwin8.8.0

  Source directory:          .
  Installation directory:    /Library/Frameworks

  C compiler:                gcc -std=gnu99  -g -O2
  Fortran 77 compiler:       g77  -g -O2

  C++ compiler:              g++  -g -O2
  Fortran 90/95 compiler:    g77 -g -O2

  Interfaces supported:      X11, aqua, tcltk
  External libraries:        readline
  Additional capabilities:   iconv, MBCS, NLS
  Options enabled:           framework, shared BLAS, R
profiling

  Recommended packages:      yes

Then make and install run to completion.

However, when I go to make plr as the postgres user,
this happens:

    eve:/usr/local/src/postgresql-8.2.0/contrib/plr

    postgres$ make

   *** Cannot build PL/R because libR is not a shared
library.
   *** You might have to rebuild your R installation.
Refer to
*** the documentation for details.

I thought that "--enable-R-shlib" was supposed to
handle the shared library error? Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any help you can give.]

[I've cross-posted this to the plr list; hope that's OK.]