[R-SIG-Mac] Pb with gcc 4.0.3 (from R-2.4.1.dmg) and last Xcode

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Jan 5 15:39:55 CET 2007

Herve,

On Jan 3, 2007, at 11:31 PM, Herve Pages wrote:

> I recently updated Xcode to the last available version (2.4.1) on
> our Intel Mac Mini (Mac OS 10.4.8).
> Now when I compile a C program with gcc 4.0.3 provided with
> R-2.4.1.dmg,
> the output I get contains several lines like this:
>
>   /var/tmp//ccUlRH08.s:2232:indirect jmp without `*'

This is harmless, merely a warning and stems from the fact that Apple
changed the behavior of the assembler on Intel Macs (for better - it
is now more compatible with other assemblers - but consequently
incompatible with its previous behavior).

Although the most recent Xcode fixed the fatal bugs that forced us to
use our own compiler, we can't switch to Apple's gcc until R 2.5.0
due to binary incompatibility between the two (see R for Mac FAQ). If
you build you own R, feel free to use Xcode's gcc.