[R-SIG-Mac] building R from source

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Feb 28 19:32:55 CET 2007

On Feb 12, 2007, at 8:57 PM, Rafael Irizarry wrote:

> Stefano, This worked. Here is exactly what I did:
>
> 1) Upgraded Xcode tools to 2.4.1 from
> http://developer.apple.com/tools/download/
>
> 2) Installed the R 2.4.1 binaries from CRAN (i downloaded the dmg) and
> followed the default install.
>
> 3) I installed gfortan by downloading this
> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/hpc/gfortran-intel-bin.tar.gz?
> download
> and typing this:
> sudo tar -xvzf gfortran-intel-bin.tar.gz -C /
> as described here:
> http://hpc.sourceforge.net/.
>
> 4) Downloaded the R 2.4.1 tar.gz file, untared, made a dir to store
> the
> files, and used this configure and make:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/Users/ririzarr/src/R-2.4.1 --with-blas='-
> framework
> vecLib' CC=/usr/local/gcc4.0/bin/gcc F77=/usr/local/bin/gfortran
>
> make CPPFLAGS=-DNEED_EXTERN_PC

For the record: ^^^-- this CPPFLAGS setting is needed *only* for the
compilation of GNU readline, not for R.

> R now works and so does ssh and everything else.

As of your broken setup before - I do not recommend installing gcc
from the HPC page, pick the gfortran compiler *only*. Even it has its
issues, but at least it should not affect other (non-fortran) software.

BTW: as of broken system debugging: try setting
DYLD_PRINT_LIBRARIES=1 before you start programs to see if they pick
up libraries from wrong places. Also make sure DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH is
not set, it causes a lot of headaches as it works in slightly
unexpected (albeit well documented) ways.