[R-SIG-Mac] update to 2.6.1; installing packages from the command line

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Dec 28 00:10:59 CET 2007

On Dec 27, 2007, at 3:24 PM, Dennis Fisher wrote:

> Colleagues
>
> I attempted to update to 2.6.1 on a MacPro running Leopard using
> R-2.6.1.dmg
> I receive the following error message:
>> The Installer could not install some files in "/".  Contact the
>> software manufacturer for assistance
>
> Interestingly, I can open Rgui and R at the command line successfully
> and both report that I am running R version 2.6.1.  Can anyone explain
> the discrepancy?

See your installer log - it will explain it.

> Also, when I work in the GUI, the command:
> 	install.packages("tseries")
> is successful.  However, when I issue the same command at the command
> line, I get:
>>> install.packages("tseries")
>> --- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
>>  Can't find a usable init.tcl in the following directories:
>>    @TCL_IN_FRAMEWORK@ @TCL_IN_FRAMEWORK@
>>
>> This probably means that Tcl wasn't installed properly.
>>
>> Error: .onLoad failed in 'loadNamespace' for 'tcltk'
>
> Thoughts?

You don't have Tcl/Tk installed. My wild guess would be that you have
upgraded to Leopard from an older system that had /usr/local/lib and
the upgrade (or installation of Xcode 3) created an infinite link loop
which prevents anything to be installed (including TclTk). See also
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2007-December/047605.html
and
http://www.nabble.com/problem-installing-2.6.1-on-OSX-Leopard--28after-failed-MacPorts-install-29-to14119813.html
If that is the issue, correct it and re-install R.