[R-SIG-Mac] Does preprocessCore do ppc64?

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Dec 14 20:15:17 CET 2007

Ah, well, that's the problem when you live on the cutting edge ;).
There is one more issue - the Leopard build uses gcc-4.2 from Apple.
Unfortunately it's not part of Xcode 3.0 :/. There are three ways to
fix this:

a) get gcc42preview1.dmg from Apple if you have ADC membership that
includes previews.
b) if you don't, you can install my build of gcc-42 from the R for Mac
pages. It is similar, but not the same. However, use at your own risk.
c) force R to use gcc-4.0. The easiest is probably to run this in
Terminal:
sudo ln -sfh gcc-4.0 /usr/bin/gcc-4.2
sudo ln -sfh g++-4.0 /usr/bin/g++-4.2

a) is best if you have access to it, c) is least invasive and can be
undone by
sudo rm /usr/bin/gcc-4.2 /usr/bin/g++-4.2

Sorry, I forgot about this issue when responding earlier.

I can only repeat that this all is all experimental, we hope to have a
more streamlined Leopard 64-bit support for R 2.7.0 including the GUI
etc. Also using 64-bit is not necessarily better - it is a bit slower
and pays off only with enough RAM (5-16GB).