[R-SIG-Mac] Does preprocessCore do ppc64?

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Dec 14 15:54:15 CET 2007

On Dec 13, 2007, at 11:29 PM, Loren Engrav wrote:

> Thank you, maybe is coming into focus
>
>>> Then I run R.app with options(arch="ppc64") in .Rprofile
>>> That is a really bad idea (see the response you got previously).
>
> Would appear that I have proven what you say is true
>
>>> I bet you didn't install the package from sources. CRAN/BioC offer
>>> 32-
>>> bit package binaries only, so you have to install all packages from
>>> sources (i.e. you must use type='source' in install.packages). Also
>>> you need all the necessary tools for this (please read the page you
>>> got the binaries from).
>
> Couple lines up I included

> Again proving you correct
>
> And I see the directions on <http://r.research.att.com/> are
> changing which
> is good for R/Bio R1's
>
> So now what I wish to do is 64bit Readaffy
> And can use 64bit command line which is painful but would work
> But have no 64bit Bio packages
>
> As I understand now
> To get 64bit R.app I must get the tools and build it
> To get 64bit Bio packages I must get the tools and build them
>
> I might try this being this deep into this and finding it rather fun
>
> One question before I start
> You say
>> note that R 2.6.1 doesn't have Quartz support in 64-bit, so the GUI
>> won't be of much use. You have to use R-devel for Quartz in 64-bit.
>
> This means that from <http://r.research.att.com/>
>> R-2.6-branch
>> R 2.6.1 Patched (2007-12-12)
> Will not work, I MUST use
>> R-devel
>> R 2.7.0 Under development
>> (unstable) (2007-12-12)
> True? Even tho neither include R.app?

You don't have to, but you won't have Quartz graphics. You can still
use the command line and X11 graphics in R 2.6.1. You indicated that
you are interested in using R.app, so I just felt that I should warn
you ;).

> In preparation for this I have installed
> Xcode 3 from the Leopard DVD
> And
> GNU Fortan 4.2.1

That's all you really need. Everything else is optional.

> And
> Will install LaTeX after massive download done
>
> And did in Terminal...
> export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin
> and
> curl -s -S http://r.research.att.com/readline-5.2-1-quad.tar.gz|sudo
> tar fxz
> - -C /
> and
> curl -s -S http://r.research.att.com/jpegpng-quad.tar.gz|sudo tar
> fxz - -C /

Those are necessary for building R, but not for packages. However, it
doesn't hurt ;).

> And of course, maybe I should bag it, admit I am over my head, and
> let some
> "expert" with dChip do it
>
> But then what the hell? Why not try it, if you can tolerate my
> questions
> that is, and I am closer to ReadAffy 64bit 81 cell as I now have
> command
> line 64bit R

Yes :). Good luck.
I hope you have far more than 4GB of RAM in your machine, otherwise
the whole exercise is probably futile...

Unfortunately I'm short of machines, so I can't offer more binaries
for now ...

>> From: Simon Urbanek <simon.urbanek at r-project.org>
>> Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 19:39:52 -0500
>> To: Loren Engrav <engrav at u.washington.edu>
>> Cc: "r-sig-mac at stat.math.ethz.ch" <r-sig-mac at stat.math.ethz.ch>
>> Subject: Re: [R-SIG-Mac] Does preprocessCore do ppc64?
>>

>> On Dec 13, 2007, at 5:58 PM, Loren Engrav wrote:
>>
>>> Thank you, was helpful, is complicated for this geezer, but
>>> interesting
>>>
>>> The whole goal is to ReadAffy() on 81 chips which seems to need 64
>>> bit to
>>> avoid "cannot allocate vector...." error (or reduce chips or analyze
>>> in
>>> pieces but not yet ready to give up on this)
>>>
>>> Other advisors advised
>>>
>>> "Install Leopard 10.5.1
>>>
>>> Now install either
>>>   R-2.6-branch-leopard-universal.tar.gz
>>> or
>>>   R-devel-leopard-universal.tar.gz
>>> depending on which version of BioC you want to use: the former is
>>> for BioC
>>> 2.1 (the current release) and the latter for BioC 2.2 (the current
> [...]
>>>
>>> Running biocinstall version 2.1.8 with R version 2.6.1
>>> Your version of R requires version 2.1 of Bioconductor.
>>> trying URL
>>> 'http://bioconductor.org/packages/2.1/bioc/bin/macosx/universal/contrib/2.6/
>>> preprocessCore_1.0.0.tgz'
>>> Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 157468 bytes (153 Kb)
>>> opened URL
>>> downloaded 153 Kb
>>>

>>> The downloaded packages are in
>>>
>>> /var/folders/-O/-O2rx2VN2RWJgU+8ZMxMx++++TI/-Tmp-//RtmpHcRo5R/
>>> downloaded_pac
>>> kages
>>> Error: package 'preprocessCore' is not installed for 'arch=ppc64'
>>>>

>> I bet you didn't install the package from sources. CRAN/BioC offer
>> 32-
>> bit package binaries only, so you have to install all packages from
>> sources (i.e. you must use type='source' in install.packages). Also
>> you need all the necessary tools for this (please read the page you
>> got the binaries from).
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Simon
>>

>>> ===============
>>> Then I try same with R.app and returns

>>> [1] "ppc"
>>> R version 2.6.1 Patched (2007-12-12 r43661)
>>> powerpc-apple-darwin9.1.0
>>>
>>> locale:
>>> en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/C/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8
>>>
>>> attached base packages:
>>> [1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods   base

>>> Running biocinstall version 2.1.8 with R version 2.6.1
>>> Your version of R requires version 2.1 of Bioconductor.
>>> trying URL
>>> 'http://bioconductor.org/packages/2.1/bioc/bin/macosx/universal/contrib/2.6/
>>> preprocessCore_1.0.0.tgz'
>>> Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 157468 bytes (153 Kb)
>>> opened URL
>>> downloaded 153 Kb
>>>

>>> The downloaded packages are in
>>>
>>> /var/folders/-O/-O2rx2VN2RWJgU+8ZMxMx++++TI/-Tmp-//Rtmp3VK9Rw/
>>> downloaded_pac
>>> kages

>>> Error in dyn.load(file, ...) :
>>> unable to load shared library
>>> '/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/preprocessCore/
>>> libs/ppc/p
>>> reprocessCore.so':
>>>
>>> dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/
>>> preprocessCore/libs
>>> /ppc/preprocessCore.so, 5): Library not loaded:
>>> /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.6/Resources/lib/
>>> libgfortran.2.dyl
>>> ib
>>> Referenced from:
>>> /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/preprocessCore/
>>> libs/ppc/pr
>>> eprocessCore.so
>>> Reason: image not found
>>> Error in library(preprocessCore) : .First.lib failed for
>>> 'preprocessCore'

>>> So to me seems with your investigative advice
>>> 2) I do not have 64bit in R.app