[R-SIG-Mac] 64-bit R compiling problem on Leopard

Herve Pages hpages at fhcrc.org
Thu Dec 13 01:06:56 CET 2007

Hi Simon,

Simon Urbanek wrote:
[...]
> FWIW: dual 32-bit and 64-bit binaries of current R 2.6.1 patched and R-
> devel for Leopard are available from
> http://r.research.att.com/
> They support all four architectures. To start 64-bit Intel R use R --
> arch=x86_64, for 64-bit ppc it is R --arch=ppc64.

We are trying to help some Bioconductor users to use these nightly
builds in 64-bit mode.

I noticed that when I start them with R --arch=x86_64, 'sessionInfo()'
and 'version' still report i386 (this is with the latest R-2.6-branch
or R-devel builds for Leopard available at http://r.research.att.com/).

However, when I try to install and load a Bioconductor binary package,
I do get the same error as reported by Tae-Hoon:

  > library(Biostrings)
  Error: package 'Biostrings' is not installed for 'arch=x86_64'

so it seems that I'm really running R in x86_64 mode (and then the
error I get with library(Biostrings) is perfectly normal since the
BioC universal binaries don't support the x86_64 arch yet).

Also note that when I start R with --arch=ppc, 'sessionInfo()' and 'version'
report the powerpc arch. So why isn't it the case with the x86_64 arch?

Thanks!
H.