[R-SIG-Mac] FAQ? Mac distributed/multiple processor solutions?

Randall Johnson [Contr] rjohnson at ncifcrf.gov
Tue Dec 4 22:26:21 CET 2007

For a one-time run this is true, but if you find yourself doing this
(or similar things) often, it can be a nuisance to break it up every
time. The snow package is fairly painless to install and works great.

I found, however, that if you have things (eg R, LAM/MPI, ...)
installed outside of the default Mac OS X path when connecting with
ssh that they won't run unless you add (or uncomment?)
“PermitUserEnvironment yes” to /private/etc/sshd_config in order
to use the modified path (set in .bash_profile) on the other OS X
machines. Perhaps there is a better way, but that is how I got it
working. Although I think this is the default setting on Leopard (and
would only be an issue for earlier versions).

Best,
Randy

On Dec 4, 2007, at 1:57 PM, Thomas Lumley wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Dec 2007, Rob Forsyth wrote:
>> options here. I am working on an iMac G5 and could access (at home -
>> i.e. not on a LAN) another G5 and a G4. I've come across the R/MPI
>> package but would appreciate advice as to how easy this is to set up
>> (would it actually be simpler to divide the job "manually"?).
>
> With only three computers it would be easiest to divide the job
> manually.
>
> 	-thomas

Randall C Johnson
Bioinformatics Analyst