[R-SIG-Mac] Local level packages not in path

James jctoll at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 04:35:30 CEST 2007

Hi,

I'm completely new to R and it's usage on a Mac.  I'm having a bit of
trouble installing packages through the Package Installer interface
in R.app.  I'm trying to install the group of Rmetrics packages for
option pricing.  When doing so, I'm given the choice of installing at
the "System Level" or the "Local Level".  I chose to install at the
local level.  The packages appear to have been correctly installed to
~/Library/R/library/.  The problem appears to be that the location is
not in my path.

 > .libPath()
[1] "/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.4/Resources/library"

So system level packages are available, but not local level
packages.  I see under preferences for R.app, under Startup, the
ability to set the "Default Library Paths".  There is a check box to
"Add $HOME/R/Library".  Is this what I need to set to get my local
level packages added to my path?  Additionally, it says that I have
to restart R.app for this to take effect.  When I restart, the box is
unchecked again.  Do I have to save my workspace to get this setting
set?

And finally, is there just a text file or something that I could edit
to make this addition?  It seems like those persons not using R.app,
namely everyone on Linux, Windows, and some Mac users would need a
way to set this.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

James