[R-SIG-Mac] A bug in the Mac GUI and a request

Ivan Alves papucho at mac.com
Thu Sep 28 16:04:28 CEST 2006

Dear Simon,

First the bug:
R GUI version 1.17-pre (3821), Mac OS X system 10.4.7 on intel core
duo.  Whenever (or almost)  I save the content of the quartz device
(the graphics window) to a file, the window "Save Content of Quartz
Device to PDF File" remains (or rather comes back) after pressing on
the save button.  Furthermore this window cannot be closed, except by
quiting the R GUI.

Now the request:
UTF-8 encoding support.  Since I have started working with csv files
encoded in UTF-8 (which appears to be the native.enc in OS X) I have
had quite a headache subsetting dataframes by values of a given
factor (with text encoded in UTF-8 I pressume).  For instance
"Compañia" appears as "Compa\361ia".  It goes beyond just looks,
working with an external editor (TextMate), I cannot use "Compañia"
nor "Compa\361ia", but "Compa\\361ia" for instance for subseting on a
factor with this value.  This is hardly optimal and was wondering
when the encoding issues are going to be solved on the OS X platform
this problem does not appear in windows, partly I suppose as the csv
files come form that platform...

many thanks in advance

Ivan