[R-SIG-Mac] RSwitch - making it easier to test pre-release versions of R

Wed Sep 20 00:18:35 CEST 2006

I have now played around a little with Rswitch, and I think it is a
great idea. It makes it very easy to test packages in the devel
version of R (which I am doing right now :).

It seems to be very close to be extremely useable for us package
developers, but I have some questions/suggestions below.

Perhaps a use case is in order: generally I am less interested in
older versions of R (but I applaud you for making it very easy to
keep those around), I am however interested in having easy access to
the following
  * The current devel version, since that is almost a requirement to
be on the bleeding BioC edge
  * The release candidate when the R update time is nearing. In a way
I guess that is the same as the release candidate, but there seems to
be a release candidate as well as a devel version on Simon's R page
(I assume that the devel version there is the stuff that is going to
be either R-2.4.1 or R.2.5.0)

Now to the comments:

* If I have a running R session, will this session be affected by
switching the symlink?
* I think it would be quite valuable to have a Versions hierarchy
inside ~/Library/R
* Would it be easy to have Rswitch report some more specifics on the
R-version, at least for the "devel" version, right now all I see is
2.4, whereas R --version reports something like R-2.4.0 alpha (date,
revision).
* Perhaps it would make sense to have the versions in the R.framework
be x.y.z instead of now where they are x.y. And perhaps even allow
for something R-devel, R-alpha, R-patched? I have no idea whether
that would be easy or feasible.

On a grander scale it might be extremely worthwhile to make this app
into a menu bar thing, with the ability to pull down the newest devel
version. That at least would make life even easier for someone like me.

Thanks for the effort, Kasper